More Reflection Resources
We are happy to continue to expand this list of resources, if you have an example of reflective practice you would like to share, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that some of the resources may require additional access through your institution.
Reflections in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM)
Calkins, S., Grannan, S., & Siefken, J. (2020). Using Peer-Assisted Reflection in Math to Foster Critical Thinking and Communication Skills. PRIMUS, 30(4), 475-499.
- PAR is a teaching strategy developed by Daniel Reinholz, that incorporates reflection and peer feedback. In this study, PAR was used to enhance student learning and mathematical thinking in a linear algebra course
- Contains sample PAR problems and assessment in the Appendix
- Sample Questions for Linear Algebra (Github)
Mason, A. J., & Singh, C. (2016). Impact of Guided Reflection with Peers on the Development of Effective Problem Solving Strategies and Physics Learning. The Physics Teacher, 54.
- Discusses another form of guided peer reflection used to enhance learning in a university algebra-based introductory physics class
Taylor, D., Rogers, A.L., & Veal, W.R. (2009). Using Self-Reflection To Increase Science Process Skills in the General Chemistry Laboratory. J. Chem. Educ., 86(3), 393.
- Discusses the way in which self-reflection was included in a chemistry laboratory environment
Constantinou, M., & Kuys, S. S. (2013, March). Physiotherapy students find guided journals useful to develop reflective thinking and practice during their first clinical placement: a qualitative study. Physiotherapy, 99(1), 49-55.
- Discusses the use of guided journals and the feedback recieved from students
- Guided Journal Guidelines
Reflections for Career Development
Sinche, M. V. (2016). Next Gen PhD: A Guide to Career Paths in Science. Cambridge, London: Harvard University Press
- Contains sample questions and tips for using reflections to determine career paths in science
Wald, H., Borkan, J. M., Taylor, J. S, Anthony, D. & Reis, S.P. (2012). Fostering and Evaluating Reflective Capacity in Medical Education: Developing the REFLECT Rubric for Assessing Reflective Writing. Academic Medicine, 87, 41-50.
- Discusses the development of a rubric that can be used to support evaluation
- Copy of the REFLECT Rubric
Moon, J. (2007). Getting the measure of reflection: considering matters of definition. Journal of Radiotherapy in Practice, 191-200
- Contains a framework for reflection depth in Appendix 2, which can be used to support evaluation
- Contains sample questions